Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Range of Reactions


One of the most interesting aspects of this process has been the range of responses and expressions we have received after making the announcement that we are going to China to teach English for a year.
Some have suggested that I am running "from" something in my life... and that, maybe I should consider that I take myself where ever I may go.... and that sometimes the change that needs to happen, is a change that is within.
This is a deep spiritual question, and one that I very much appreciate, and continue to contemplate.
In one recent email reply to such a suggestion, I responded as such:
"Every moment, the world changes.
I believe that we can, and do, everyday, change the world, both individually and collectively, through both action, and non-action.
Either is a choice.
Some changes are needed internally, and others, externally.
Some individually, some globally.
The two are not mutually exclusive."
It is true, I am a runner. But I am running "to," not "from."

1 comment: